Stewart Rawson’s bio
Stewart Rawson – Passion and Perfection
Perth Renovations Co is an upmarket renovation company in Perth. Specialising in Bathrooms and Kitchens. Part of our company’s success is due to the efforts of its director and one of the owners, Stewart Rawson.
A Little Bit of Background
Stewart Rawson has always been a motivated person, coming from a hardworking family. His Mother migrating from Finland and is Father bought up in country NSW.
Both have become his biggest inspirations, driving him to give his best to reach his ambitions.
During Stewart’s younger years, he wanted to be a doctor, a physiotherapist, a builder, a fireman and all the other amazing professions out there that a young ambitious man wants to become!
His family has bricklaying and carpentry roots that stem back to the early 1800s.
He was destined to lead a path that entailed something to do with the construction industry although he didn’t know this back then. As he grew, he found his way to plumbing. In 2004, he started his plumbing apprenticeship with A.Murray & Sons in Canberra, ACT.
Stewart qualified as a licensed plumber in 2009 and went straight into Sub-contracting and running his own business. He travelled to Darwin to work on the ‘Tiwi Islands’ for 8 months in 2010 before making his way to Perth, Western Australia.
From Plumbing to Renovating
Stewart moved to Perth and fell into the bathroom renovations game. This was not so unfamiliar territory for him as his Uncle ran a renovation company in Canberra where Stewart spent a lot of his time.
See whether it was renovating, plumbing or being around a building site Stewart was always curious and ambitious to learn more about not only his own trade but others as well. This is the reason he found himself starting a small renovation company in Perth.
His First Company and the Challenging Road Ahead
“If you have ever had the assumption that you have learned everything, then you will never move forward
or succeed at the highest level.
Always have the understanding that you will continue learning. Otherwise, you need to re-evaluate which way you’re going.” – Stewart Rawson
Stewart Rawson became the founder of CPMS Plumbing and Renovations. Initially, it was just a plumbing and maintenance company. However, it did not take long for it to grow and expand into a renovation company as well.
It is humbling to look back and think about how far they have come to be a part of CPMS. He used all that he has learned and discovered to establish yet another company, Perth Renovations Co.
Playing It Forward
Perth Renovations Co is an outstanding company. One of the things that set it apart is that it has an established, step-by-step process of executing the business. After the client has enquired, are the next steps of the procedure:
- The potential client will receive an email, which will be delivered promptly. It says that Perth Renovations Co is thankful for the enquiry. The company also states in the email that they would like to meet or get to know the client on a specific time of the week. To keep the discussion going, the client is requested to provide a house or floor plan if available. The following questions are also asked:
- What kind of renovation do you want?
- What would be involved?
- Do you have a design?
- Do you have a colour palette?
- Do you need a designer?
Stewart and his team will wait for the answers. If there are house plans, Stew can usually estimate what the job will cost without needing to go out. Even the first meeting may be unnecessary unless it is required or requested by the client.
- After getting the response from the client, the company will then email them back, asking about the availability. This step is where they book for a quote.
- The next process now is to call the client for a follow-up. Once it is arranged, a calendar entry is organised. From there, Stew will meet the client onsite. It will typically take anywhere from half an hour to an hour.
- It is time to go back to the office and send the quote for the job.
By now, there should be a rapport built between the client and the company. This way, when Stew and his team go back to the site, the client feels comfortable in dealing with them. It is yet another thing that sets them apart from other companies. Perth Renovations Co is not about being pushy and sales but about building a relationship with the client.
- If the handshake is made and the client is happy to proceed with the company, Stew goes back to the office and puts together a schedule of work. It is a crucial step, especially for the clients, so they know who is coming on what day and time. Stewart remains the point of contact between the client and the company.
- Stew then speaks to the client about the issues that may arise on the job. It gives them the idea of what to expect and what to do in case of a problem. He tries to be as spot-on as he can, but some variations are usually unavoidable. Problems do happen, but they minimise them as much as humanly possible – especially on the financials of the clients. Overcharging and other extras can leave a very bad taste in their mouth, which is what they want to avoidFinally, Perth Renovations Co begins the renovation.
How Would Stewart Rawson Describe Himself?
Stew has many admirable qualities, including:
- A family-oriented man – Family is everything for Stew. He grew up with a good upbringing. He has two sisters, along with his mother and father. On his mother’s side, he has a big family that he can describe as loving and caring. His family has always been humble and protective. He was brought up to interact with people they meet along the sidelines. Now, he is married with a young family.
- Experience-driven – “Experience removes unhealthy ego and replaces it with good ego.” – Stewart Rawson. Just like other businesses: experience matters. For Stew, it is not possible to walk into a business and expect it to have a good outcome. There are no shortcuts to success. It takes lessons that are often learned the hard way.
- Great listener – He understands that people want to be listened to. It is essential that clients can state their opinion. If he does not agree with something, he provides scenarios and proof. It is a conversation and an exchange of ideas, allowing the clients to talk. He communicates very well, reading mannerisms and understanding where they are coming from before moving forward.
- Problem-solver – Problems arise in any job in any industry. He takes the time to communicate with the clients and let them understand the real world of renovating, not the ones they see on TV. He is transparent and upfront, which helps identify and face the issue.Solving bumps on the road is a strategic opportunity to display expertise and excellence in the field for Stewart. It is rewarding not just for him but the customers as well. With his analytical thinking, he evaluates the situation first. He will then be able to come up with a solution quickly, which is possible with his experience in the industry.
- Customer-centric – Stewart invests in clients in his efforts to build the relationship. This way, they will invest and trust the company. It will then be easy to make referrals, which help the business grow.
- Team player – He values his staff and makes sure to have some time to spend with them. Usually, he would invite his team to go to coffee at least twice a week. He would usually invite them on Mondays to talk about their weekends before going to work.
- Health Advocate – A healthy lifestyle is essential in the renovation business, mainly because projects require long hours onsite. He believes that a healthy mindset allows him to be fit to run a business.What Do Other People Think About Stewart Rawson?Here are some things that others use to describe him:Being a calm gentlemanProfessional in his approach
Cares about attention to detail
Always happy to have a chat
Serious about businessHe places great attention to detail on all his work and has become an excellent quality craftsman and tradesman. He is honest, transparent, and with integrity. He takes the time to choose the right person for the right job, ensuring quality and craftsmanship.Stewart is also viewed as an ambitious individual but for the right reasons. He has goals that drive him to become better and further improve in his craft. Through hard work, perseverance, and commitment, he has pushed himself forward to achieve success.
So What Does Success Look Like for Him?
For Stew, a considerable measure is when he runs into a previous client, in the street and They can have a chat or even sit down for a cup of coffee.
They will discuss all things life. For Stew, it is important he has a positive imprint on that person’s life, whether it is about renovation or personally.
Therefore, it’s not about winning the job; it’s about building a relationship with the customer. Once the connection is established, he wants to keep it and strengthen it. The goal is to leave an impression on them of trust, loyalty and friendship.
Stewart feels grateful that the clients trust him and the company. Some people save up for years to renovate a bathroom, a kitchen or a room in the house. They put their savings on the line as they rely on him to help them reach their renovation goals. He feels respected that they believe in him, trusting them with their wants.
Watching your company grow will always be exciting for any business owner. However, Stew understands that it comes with a huge responsibility to ensure that the quality still shines through. It involves commitment, dedication, ups, downs and everything in between.
because it can take a long time to complete the job. Money is great, but the reward is in the satisfaction of the clients.
“When they walk into the house and see the result, they immediately compare what they used to have to what they have now. When they feel ecstatic about the renovation, I can hold my head up high, knowing I did an excellent job.”
He knows he has satisfied customers. The perfect metric involves having repeat customers and referrals. Stew is in the renovation and building industry for the right reasons. It is not to make money or because there is no other opportunity out there. It is about achieving fulfilment and serving the clients to the best of his abilities.